2011年8月25日木曜日

A Dance Teacher in Hakone

Fortunately enough, I met another good Japanese traditional dance teacher in my life!

His name is Kanjiro Ootori.
He said he used to belong to the school of Hanayagi but started his own school 30 years ago.

I love to see him dance.  His dance is elegant--much more elegant than real geishas.
There are lots to learn from his dance.

On the very first lesson, one of the geisha recommended me to sit and watch his lessons for another geishas.  I was very glad to do so.  I can also listen to music which I, in near future, am going to play shamisen and sing songs.

He sings out loud when he teaches, which is one of the important factors as a dance teacher. 
Those who are qualified to teach dance must be able to reproduce music by singing: the reason why I started studying Nagauta songs and shamisen.

When I went to see him for the first time, he looked at me and said,
'You seem to be an experienced dancer.'
I answered, 'Yes, for about 40 years.  I used to teach at Toei (Japanese Hollywood)'
He said, 'You can be a principal here!  Do stay long enough to be the one!' posing like a top star, even before he see me dance.

Actually today, after two days of lessons,  he recommended me as a dancer on NewYear's celebration, but a geisha in charge apologized him saying, 'I'm so sorry, but she is already appointed as a singer.'

How I wished to be a dancer rather than a singer!
After all,  there are many dancers but fewer musicians in Hakone, like many other geisha districts.
I'll see in the future whether I can be one of the dancers here.
On the other hand, I am enjoying shamisen and singing.

Tomorrow, I will meet another music teacher for the first time. 
Risougaku, where I study folk music.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿