2011年9月4日日曜日

Shugoro Honjo (Risougaku folk-song master)

Our folk-song (Risougaku) master in Hakone is a jovial young man, Shugoro Honjo.

On my first lesson, he told me the right place of the strings of shamisen when I was tuning the instrument.  He explained the reason why. 
He also told me how I should hold shamisen…not too close to myself.
Although young, he is a talented player and singer, born to a shamisen player, and later become the disciple of famous Honjo headmaster Hidetaro.  He plays and teaches shamisen for various historical play.
It seems, from what was said among geishas waiting for his lesson, he is teaching here in Hakone for at least more than 6 years.

When a geisha said to him, ‘Why, you are lucky to have an excellent student,’ talking about me, he answered, ‘I thought Hakone musicians are on the verge of extinction.’

‘But I saw the light.’

This is true to almost every geisha districts all over Japan, where there are less and less shamisen player—excellent players, I mean.

Shugoro-sensei also plays kokyu.
When I told him that I am a disciple of Daisuke Kiba, he said that he definitely wanted to see him.
‘I don’t know whether he would like to see me, but I really would like to see him!’ he said.
The reason why Master Shugoro said so was that he thinks my master, Daisuke Kiba is the leading figure of kokyu player and is dedicating to popularization of kokyu.

I was glad that I could introduce them to each other.

So far, I have very good time taking lessons from excellent masters of music and dance.

The problem, if there is, is that I never worked as a geisha, an entertainer.
I shall not see it until October.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿