2011年8月7日日曜日

Kokyu

http://yuzuruha.net/

This is my young kokyu Master Daisuke Kiba.
He used to be a Jazz pianist, and that's why he is not only great in his performance but in various musical arrangements.

After I got divorced from a dentist, I chose to continue my lessons only on kokyu--this nice little instrument played by bow.

In Japan, traditional arts lessons and performances are not supported by anyone including government. 
Especially, if you would like to continue your career as Japanese traditional dancer, it is said that your parents must be rich.  My father wasn't a rich man--he is a scholar--but he managed somehow until I married a dentist.
As a dentists wife, I could, not only continue my career as a dancer, but also started Nagauta songs and shamisen--music traings  for a proper dance teacher.
The costs of studying all these arts were expensive. But, all of my masters, some younger then I was even then, were superb and excellent. 
I was so fortunate to have good and ample education on these arts.
After I divorced, it was no longer able for me to afford all these lessons.  I quit all, and chose only kokyu, which I thought I can manage.  What is the life without music? Or dance? Even if you are not rich anymore?

Now, kokyu is somewhat difficult instrument to play.  Far worse than shamisen.
At long last, taking lessons for about four years, I think I am now beginning to enjoy playing kokyu.

There were other interests in playing kokyu for me.
As for these three-string-instruments like shamisen and kokyu, a player ought to tune by herself.  Most beginners are not able to tune, of course.  Since I was a professional shamisen player by the time I started kokyu, I was a tuner for all  kokyus on stage for my master.  All his students brought their kokyu before the stage for me to tune because my master asked me to do so.
The kokyu master also let me dance 'Owara'--a famous bon dance in Niigata Pref. unique in using kokyu as a part of orchestration--in his concerts.  So far I danced already three times on various stages--Kochi and Osaka for him.  I appreciate so much for these chances he gave me!

http://yuzuruha.net/special.html
Here you can enjoy Owara music on his live concert.
It is such a good feeling to dance with this back music.

As for kokyu, it was very popular among geishas in Edo period.
It was accompanied with koto and shamisen.  But somehow, shakuhachi became much more popular after Meiji period, and took most of  the melody part from kokyu--it is no longer popular.  Most Japanese people nowadays mistake Chinese 'Niko' from kokyu--Twelve Girls Band from China used to be very popular here.
By the way, when koto is played on stage, it is usually Jiuta.  If there are many shamisen players and singers line up in second row, drummers and flutist in front row, as you can see in Kabuki, it is usually Nagauta. 
There are many other genres of traditional Japanese music: Gidayu--for Bunraku puppet show, Kiyomoto and Tokiwazu--other genre on Kabuki stage mainly storytelling, and Minyo--musics handed down at each local area, and others.

What is required for geisha?
As for Hakone geisha, lessons are given for two dance schools (which meas there are two dance teachers), Nagauta, purcussions, Minyo, and flute.
Not all the lessons are must for all geishas.
Some of them majors in some instrument.
As for me, only thing I would want to skip is flute. 
I am deeply interested in percussions and own my small drum which used to be my son's. 
But so far, it is the most important thing for me to pass the test, and get started to play shamisen for Hakone.


                                           Dancing 'Owara' for kokyu concert.

2 件のコメント:

  1. How great, I wish to hear you play this instrument.
    I know you are a fantastic dancer.

    Young talented Nihon buyo-students should be able to get some support from somewhere to be able to continue their studies and to develope the artform. The more different dancers, the more interesting dance. Is there a fund?

    返信削除
  2. Dear dansmakare-san

    Thank you so much for your comment!

    Yes, you are absolutely true, but unfortunately, there are no ample fund for Nihon buyo students.
    The dance art used to belong to only those who were born rich.
    Many groups and individuals, including my master, devise the way of funding, but still not enogh to cover all the expense.
    It is one of the biggest reason that Nihon buyo is becoming unpopular in modern world.

    返信削除