2011年9月14日水曜日

Shugoro Honjo (2)

I felt that I must write about him again.

It is because I had a chance to see him on stage last Sunday, on the occasion of performances of his school, Honjo-ryu in Tokyo.

Master Shugoro Honjo’s shamisen skill was just astounding.
He played music composed by School Headmaster Hidetaro Honjo.  I’ve never heard such subtle but dynamic music played only by shamisen!
Composition is brilliant and amazing, including Western melodies and waltz rhythm, but without Master Shugoro’s shamisen performing technique, it never can be realized.

I was thinking that he is mainly a song teacher for me until that time.
But I realized that Master Shugoro is one of the best shamisen players in Japan. 

He said to me, praising my kokyu Master Daisuke Kiba, `I think his performance shows enormous potentialities of kokyu’.

I think Master Shugoro Honjo’s shamisen performance shows enormous potentialities of shamisen.
It is unlike Tsugaru shamisen, but sometimes sounds alike.  But mostly, the music flows elegantly.  I never thought shamisen music is something ‘elegant.’

How lucky am I to see such wonderful master!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿